• Saturday Afternoon, Coffee and Mumbai's Rain !

    What a pleasure… it’s Saturday afternoon but today’s afternoon has turned lazy… rain is pouring since morning or more precisely, from last night. Roads are almost empty as traffic is reduced and also slow down. Its indeed a pleasant weather and mesmerising moment to just sitting besides the windowpane and gazing heavy rain showers with a cup of hot coffee. It’s a cool and soothing ambiance, blowing breeze is shivering me though I am sipping hot coffee. Suddenly raindrop that arrived from the windowpane gives me contentment. Glazing this blissful nature can be a pleasurable moment for anybody.

    I always admire rain. May be I came from the drought affected area so rain was always like life for us. Many times I feel rain is like a whimsical, moody person who is always busy with himself. Whole world, everybody has fixed his/her eyes on the rain. Everyone was desperate for arrival of monsoon. But rain is like King of his own mind. He behaves in his own way. Nobody binds him when to come and when to stop… it’s his wish when and how he pour.  Even planet runs as per rule, sun and moon have to maintain their timing but rain… he is always on his own terms. He doesn’t bother anybody.

    Even little drizzle of rain quenches the thirst of earth. After his arrival nature become asparagus and trees take new fresh breath. If he decides then he can fill the color of delectation in farmer’s life. And we have seen disaster after he sulks. If he decides to be merciless, then it would not only drain the water from the region but also from the eyes of common man.

    My memories with rain are as fresh as today’s rain, which is pouring through outside the windowpane. Around 20 years ago when I came to Mumbai, I was welcomed by rain; looking at it I felt as if my relative came to receive me on station. I can still recollect the memories, it was mid of June and in Mumbai, monsoon had already started. It was my first visit to Mumbai and I stepped out of train in the early morning and I noticed two things. First thing was heavy rain ‘Mumbai rain’ and second was smell of fish. Few fisher women put their big baskets of fish at the entrance of platform. And smell of fish spread all over. Even today who is regular visitor of CST (then VT) can remember these two things.

    I saw a new face of rain in Mumbai or the type of rain I saw was new for me. In my collage day in Solapur, we had experience of only few hours’ rain. But here I saw showers for days. Before this I knew Mumbai for influx of people but I saw day night showers for the first time. I read it only in books but I was experiencing it. I have literally in love with this rain. I sat for many hours on the nariman point beach in rainfall.  When sea gets rough and high waves hit beach wall. I was soaked by both rain from top and waves from the front.




    Mumbai’s rain has different shade and meaning. Sometimes it pours like youth’s enthusiasm with heavy showers; sometime rain behaves like a mature man and falls only in the night after a common mumbaikar safely reaches his/her home, sometimes he comes down recklessly and furiously disturbing life of mumbaikar. Even these showers make us remember the teenage love as it coming down in interval. Like a teenager who visits his sweetheart’s house round d clock.

    Now years have passed but still I eagerly wait for rain every year. In these years I became ‘Mumbaikar’ and experienced all the mood of rain. I was stuck in the railway local due to waterlogging. And how can I forget the formidable face of rain of July 26, when cloud burst in Mumbai. mumbai and surrounding were actually stopped. I couldn’t reach home and I stayed in office like many other mumbaikar.

    Last year I missed these moments as rainfall was not even as per average. I was tensed this year as first 15 days of monsoon went dry. All the agencies predicted good rainfall this year but suddenly monsoon stop somewhere and not only me but many people like me felt the heat. However rain is pouring from last few days. I wish and request to rain, just pour like this and fill our dams, wells, rivers…your presence would fill our hearts.
  • You might also like

    No comments:

    Post a Comment